St. Elphin's
 

 


The Church

The parish church is on the site of the earliest church in Warrington (675 AD), rebuilt in 1156 and surviving through the Reformation period up until the mid-19th centuary. Being perceived as the Parish Church of Warrington, it is the Church in which all the civic and town services are held. In 1770 Rector Owen carried out extensive restoration to the church. The gates - still standing - were erected in 1771. More
The Church 1828

The Bells

In 1642, during the seige of Warrington, the church was almost destroyed and the bells were silenced. New bells were recast in 1698 and in 1884. In 1950 they were recast and a new clock given in memory of Sir William Peter Rylands, head of Rylands Bros for fifty years. More.
1950 Memorial Bell Click image to read inscription

The Crypt

This is the oldest part of the church and also the oldest room in Warrington! It dates from 1354 and could be the site of the original church (650AD)

 

The Spire

The 281 foot spire of St Elphin's Parish Church- built in the 1850's by Rector William Quekett dominates the Warrington skyline. This gave the church a visible presence to rival and rise above the teeming industry all around.

St Ann's Chapel

Founded by Thomas Massey, Rector of Warrington (1448-1464). The Patten family combined it with their own chapel in 1761. The last of the family members - Lord Winmarleigh was burried in the family vault in 1892.

The Lady Chapel

Founded and endowed by Sir John Boteler in 1290. In 1943 it became the Chapel of the South Lancashire Regiment. Later - 1976- it became the Chapel for the Queen's Lancashire Regiment. Sankeys of Warrington made most off the woodwork in the chapel. An annual Regimental Service is held each October.

The Organ

The Parish Church has possessed a fine organ for well over 200 years, during which time it has occupied various sites within the Church. Its tone is renowned for its purity and typically English sound. More